Module 1

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2020 1:38 am  #11

Re: Bullwhip Effect

I would also add to these as measures to mitigate the effect:
A just-in-time (JIT) inventory system and point-of-sale (POS) system would enable companies to get direct information on demand and enable mangers request for more goods if required.

N. Nzewi.

6/25/2020 10:31 am  #12

Consider and discuss an area in your supply chain that could be subject to a bullwhip effect, give an example of how this can happen and provide ideas on how to mitigate the effect.
Bullwhip effect is a situation detected by the supply chain where orders sent to the manufacturer and supplier creates a larger variance than the sales to the end user. In other words it is a wrong representation of demand which in turn leads to excess inventory resulting into waste.
A good example was a misinformed market after a fire outbreak, caused by the use of imported electrical cables. The right information was, construction companies can use both local and foreign cables but the foreign/imported cables must be certified by a special body on standardization and there was never a barn against the use of imported cables.
The locally made Electrical cables were scarce because it was completely bought out of market. After a month the market was flooded with locally made cables which didn’t move or sold as expected.
This is a case of improper communication between each link or stake holders in the supply chain which has resulted into in accurate forecast, and such over reaction to demand expectation i.e. ordering too much and producing too much as well.
A proper understanding of this concept will always help business owners and managers avoid costly pitfalls and a better supply chain.
This can be avoided through proper dissemination of information and transparency with all stake holders.

7/08/2020 3:01 am  #13

The bullwhip effect is caused by forecasting the demand in market incorrectly. It might be a very small variations (increases in demand) that get significantly escalated as they pass through the supply chain to the point where it breaks down. Most of the time some retailors end up flooded in inventory, others will experience long lasting stockouts and the end customer gets unsatisfied that they are not getting what they ordered. In these situations, time can be used as the buffer and, depending on the required service strategy and planning, the technique chosen might be order products up and down the supply chain in smaller tranches (increases) thus reducing the time between orders and allowing for timely information to be available.

In my view, the bullwhip effect can be mitigated by reduced lead times, re-visit the reordering processing, limitations of price fluctuations, and shared knowledge with suppliers and customers ( work with upstream and downstream in the supply chain) to better predict the size of the demand. 

Other steps for successful application might be considered through improving the communication and information flow through the supply chain, in addition to improve the data forecasting. For Ex. determining product demand from actual data entered the point of sale (POS) computer systems and electronic data interchange (EDI) systems will more likely improve sales forecast accuracy.

Last edited by Haiz A. (7/08/2020 3:16 am)

7/08/2020 5:20 am  #14

@Nnzewi, I totally agree providing each stage of the supply chain with access to customer demand data and shared information can significantly mitigate the impact of the variations. However, in case when actual data entered to the point of sale is not available or is incomplete, then the data forecasting need to be considered to strengthen the shared knowledge and information upstream and downstream in the supply chain.
 In my view, the retailor in your example has also contributed to the excessive inventory by forecasting inaccurate demand in the market based on the uncertainty, unlike the manufacturer which is more likely made an informed and consistent forecast to the subsequent events occurred over specific period. The Bullwhip effect also could have been mitigated through reducing the time (response time) between the orders passed through the supply chain.
 In other words, the retailor could also modify the order based on actual data (so far entered the system) ahead of time (prior to end of event). A very good example shows that improvement of supply chain coordination can be achieved through sharing information in all tiers, as well as more effective and consistent forecasting, to speed communications and improve response time.

12/19/2020 2:49 pm  #15

That wont work. Indeed, the placebo effect can be very dangerous if it stops people from seeking medical treatment because they think someone sticking needles in them is going to help.
It can make a measurable difference, but its far from complete or found in everyone, and often not enough to actually be considered a treatment in its own, often just reducing symptoms of something.

12/24/2020 5:01 pm  #16

I know why it USED to have effect costs.
You had to give up something to get something, it was literally a cost.
Your better cards required more of a sacrifice.

Costs now are not costs, and thats a problem.
Everything thats disguised as a cost is really a benefit.
An effect requires you discard to the Graveyard?
No problems, this archetype exclusively uses graveyard effects
Spending Lifepoints?
Well gain more back than you spent
This card tells me that everything I lost to gain an advantage in this duel is going to come back again after I already used it

sigh
Thats what makes this game really degenerate.
Theres is no actual penalty for using a long chain of cards and efffects.
Every archetype has a built in recovery for its own weakness.

Yu-Gi-Oh Pay 10 to recieve 30

1/29/2021 9:33 am  #17

Its a bit of both, to be honest.
Its a state of costless play where you can use a single level 4 monster like a boss.
The example that caused this semi-rant was when I played against Bujin Yamato.
My opponent literally only used this single Level 4 for the entire MATCH.
Not just one duel, the whole match.

Granted Im not the worlds best player, but it shouldnt be too hard to run over a single 1800 ATK Level 4 monster
whos effect on its own doesnt do much but fill the grave.
That effect, in the old days would be a cost for getting another monster to your hand.
In reality, what its really doing is just loading Yamatos effect revolver with bullets, effectively giving him any effect hed ever need.
Yeah, of course you win when you can hand pick effect from the graveyard to fit any situation in a virtually costless manner.

And the sad part is this isnt even the most degenerate thing in the game.

3/05/2021 1:21 pm  #18

I can see this effect being quite real. You all know the well loved plane scene from TDKR, the big scene 4U?

Turns out its memetic, plane crashing origins goes as far back as to the original 1933 King Kong.

4/26/2021 7:56 pm  #19

Can’t directly answer you question. However if cold weather can and does effect cooker temps, hot weather should have the opposite effect. Cold weather acts as a heat sink, hot air temps will hold the internal chamber steadier due to less heat loss. Did you notice a - in fuel consumption?

4/01/2023 6:28 pm  #20

If it really is ME3:
God Damnit There goes again atleast 60 hours of my life

And if it really isnt ME3, i really hope they still do game about Mass Effect world; but not MMO... We have already enough of those around.

Board footera