Module 1

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2020 12:45 pm  #1

Discuss differences between process mapping and supply chain mapping.

The process mapping is a tool visually demonstrates the steps of work activities and to define the business processes and the people who involved in carrying out each step.

While the Supply Chain mapping is a huge practice that probably would need a shared information system to store and review all collected data. The practice should be carried out through all tiers of suppliers and buyers to find out who supplies who until they reach the prototypes, where a supplier sources raw ingredients or materials.

For example a brand owner at origin, or service provider working on their behalf, would contact main suppliers to determine what are the required specs of the supplied items and who supplies the requested specific items, then I think for the suppliers must confirm via a technology tool or control system that they would do in fact supply those particular items. Once this has been completed, specific potential risks can be identified. These are more likely to fall under the categories of compliance, supply disruption and reputation.The Supply Chain mapping should remain fluid in nature, where the organizations preparedness toward the impacts of the social and environmental changes becomes coherent, and giving various tools and methodologies are designed to deal with the underlying uncertainties associated with the mapping process. Its more likely for the risks to be increased further throughout the supply chain, at the same time the required skills and capacity to address these risks often decrease.

Therefore, It’s crucial that organizations look beyond tier-one suppliers to see the full image of the risk analysis. For instance, complex organizations with multi-tiered value chains, networks and various service provider (third party) agreements would require leadership and a focus on relationships and behaviour, rather than the process thinking typically associated with supply chain risk management.

Eventually, organizations should make sure that their suppliers have strong policies, SOPs, management  and reporting systems in place to manage potential environmental, social and governance risks.

Last edited by Haiz A. (5/08/2020 1:16 am)

5/03/2020 3:06 am  #2

Re: Discuss differences between process mapping and supply chain mapping.

Hello Haiz,

I would like to join your discussion.

Great points, but I would like to chip in. Your first paragraph seems more like supply chain mapping to me. The orientation you described is more of external than internal. The focus of process mapping is within an organization and the level of detail is higher than supply chain mapping.

Process mapping focuses on the internal system within an organization, breaks down the processes into steps and activities, seeks problems within those activities and the need to improve the operating system.

N. Nzewi.

5/03/2020 4:12 pm  #3

Dear Nezwi: 
Thank you so much for your feedback, and nice to meet virtually 

To further clarify the first para of my post, this might be more applicable in organizations that has a separate software system designed specifically to identify the suppliers from all levels (outside and inside the country office) more likely the level of detail are high. For instance, in my organization the “E-Tendering” is an electronic event (above referenced as technology tool) that was developed recently to ensure the public bidding competitive process, carried out with fairness and transparency to ensure best value of money.  Basically, there is link between the internal system developed and the external process that utilizes the supply chain strategy for sourcing the suppliers, while the structural map increases to include second-tier suppliers and second-tier customers, as all involved in the flows of products, services, finances and information from original supplier to the end-customer, which might be followed differently in other institutions.

Given the supply chain mapping builds on the tools and techniques of process mapping, at the same time per the strategic function of the Organization, the process needs to be engaged in the early stages of project design once the buyer (supply chain unit) receives the prerequisites from the client, to ensure efficient delivery at place, lower risks and cost effective.

Furthermore, as you correctly mentioned the internal systems are utilized to monitor the activities upon awarding the contract and manage its performance with review and budget compliance.

5/04/2020 8:35 am  #4

Hello Haiz,

Nice to connect with you virtually as well .

I agree with you, supply chain strategy varies with different industries, some more complex than the other. Process mapping as well varies for all organizations. Thinking of which, I can relate this to mean supply chain strategy is comparable among industries while process mapping is comparable among organizations within an industry.

The process map is designed to show who does what within an organization to eliminate unnecessary work, combine and rearrange steps and adds new steps where necessary and for work flow/duties clarification (also to eliminate duplication of duties). The process flow map may include (for example) the unit assigned to source, inspect and process payment for the organization, but then the supply chain mapping takes it up from there to expand on the suppliers and track the various tiers of the supply chain to mitigate against risk etc.

Reading through your first and second paragraph again, I think I get where you are coming from. I quote "process mapping should be carried out through all tiers of suppliers and buyers to find out who supplies …. until they reach the prototypes, …". The suppliers and buyers you refer to are part of a process (the buyers connecting with suppliers in the process flow), the buyers could be internal or outsourced. But from my understanding, once the suppliers and downstream move to the second tier, it is no longer within the process mapping of the organization but is included in the supply chain mapping.

Supply chain mapping builds on the tools and techniques of process mapping.

Last edited by nnzewi (5/04/2020 9:56 am)

N. Nzewi.

5/05/2020 5:03 pm  #5

Thank you again @Nzewi for your follow up response. I think we agree that the process mapping tracks and analyzes the steps of work activities and the people who are involved in carrying out each step, at the same time the process mapping as you mentioned looks at the sequence of steps and adjust by eliminating those are not needed or repetitive steps for better efficiency, in contrary the Supply chain mapping is cross-functional and inter-organizational system.

Where I come from, there is no specific recipe for success when compiling policies and processes but simply there are proven guidelines and special measures, that are followed by the functional units (teams/ departments) who are keeping the strong ties with the process steps to smoothly adapt with the fluid situation and ever-changing environment.  

Further to what you have quoted, my first para is modified in consistent to the rest content, also the term "buyer" refered by in the structure mapping of my organization stands for tier-1 customer, while the requesting unit that manages the supply activities and ensure the quality would be tier-2 customer, then the end-user client would be the tier-3 customer who also requested the goods and services from tier-2 customer at the first place, finally the services and goods distributed to the final recipient consumers/ beneficiaries of the acquired goods and service whom would be the tier-4 customer.

Hope this would sound more sense to you, 

Cheers! 

Last edited by Haiz A. (5/08/2020 1:01 am)

5/08/2020 1:54 pm  #6

Good Afternoon

I made my first attempt to a supply chain map for this particular exercise, and many thoughts went to how an organizations various processes (or developed process flows) are built to suit and support an organization's supply chain, therefore supply chain map.  Therefore, it is important to understand the difference between each "map", but also important to understand the relationship between an organization's process flow maps and their supply chain maps

Processes, or process flow maps, are developed to define procedures and steps within an organization's processes to define the who, what, when, where, and how those particular processes can be adhered to.  

Supply chain map, shows the path supplies and materials take from raw materials to manufacturers to consumers and beyond. It provides a quick visual overview of the flow of merchandise through a particular industry and the various companies/resources affected and involved.  The overview also indicates risks, bottlenecks, and opportunities.

Many process flows can be developed within an organization's supply chain map, to outline the procedures to support the supply chain itself internally.

thank you
Angela

5/24/2020 3:09 pm  #7

I want to further contribute on the above discussion, the differences between process mappings and supply chain mapping
Though the word mapping is common to both, however, Processs mapping is the unique way of using diagrams (flow charts) to illustrate the flow of process from the most perspective (macro) to the level of details (micro) required to identify opportunities and for improvement.
The essence of this is to see the workability of a process and to establish the working boundaries and limits and to put in place checks in order to improve efficiency.
For example, the process of constructing a building, the process starts from the sub-structure (the unseen part of the building, which includes the foundation, which can be normal foundation, raft foundation or pile foundation depending on the soil texture and characteristics, the number of  floors and other parameters) to the super structure, the seen part, which includes the beams, the couloms, the block walls, this is further divided into sections, to the roofing and finally finishing of the building.  
To achieve this, a lot of team work, brainstorming, inputs, ideas, communication and proper documentation is put into action.
Supply chain mapping on the contrary is engaging across the suppliers and sub contractors engaged on the building construction to documents the exact source of every material, every equipment engaged in erecting the building, e.g Electrical Sub-contractor, it involves the total knowledge of all the electrical materials, fittings, pippings, equipment engaged, likewise for all other sub-contractors and supplier engaged in the construction of the building.

12/08/2020 7:23 pm  #8

I’m hoping we all more information and feel more comfortable sizing up this risk this fall. I’m thinking our group would be ok with going.

I’m guessing the question is will they let the team gather to practice.

1/11/2021 6:44 am  #9

I would not go.
My decision is based on those that I come in contact with more than myself I am not a high risk person.  I would be very upset if I contracted the virus and infected someone else who became very ill.

2/08/2021 7:33 pm  #10

I will renew my season tickets but I won’t go unless this thing is basically gone and a vaccine would be really nice. I understand people want to be back to normal, but this isn’t just about you it is about all of us.

Board footera